When you are thinking about moving, it can be challenging to find the perfect city or town to live in. Canada has many incredible provinces with cities you will love, but from all of them, you will find that the best places are located in Ontario. Because we want you to find the best places to live in Ontario, we have created a list to help you decide which one can become your new home.
Before telling you about the best places in Ontario to live, we will explain to you all the reasons why this province should be your top option. Ontario has a population of over 14.57 million people, making it one of the most popular provinces in the country. However, Ontario is not only the top choice for Canadian residents. This province is also the one that receives the majority number of tourists.
Ontario is also the best place to settle down. Here young families can find the best schools and universities for their children, plus amazing professional opportunities to further their career. But in such a wonderful province with so many incredible cities, how can you decide where to live? You don’t need to worry because below, we will describe the best places to live in Ontario with all their pros and cons.
5 Best Places to Live in Ontario
Finding the best place in Ontario for you and your family is not an easy task, but the one thing you need to keep in mind when choosing a new home is your priorities. Ask yourself what matters the most to you. Do you want to live in a peaceful town or the city? Are you looking for a place to settle down?
We advise first writing a list of your needs, and then it is going to be much easier to choose between the incredible options we have. Now let’s take a look at the best places in Ontario to live.
For its location and its multicultural scenario, Toronto will always be one of the best places in Ontario to live. Toronto has a population of around 2.9 million people and possesses a stable economy, ensuring a comfortable life for every household.
Toronto also offers a series of activities for bachelors and families. In this city, you can find museums, parks, art galleries, nightclubs, diverse restaurants, and cultural activities such as Ballet and Opera seasons.
- Amazing job opportunities
- Diverse cultural activities
- Safe with a low crime rate
- Variety of activities
- Short winter compared to the other cities in the country
- Expensive living
- A crowded place, not a good option is you like some quiet
- Lots of traffic during the rush hour
Ottawa is the country’s capital city and one of the best places to live in southern Ontario. The gems of this city are Parliament Hill and all the Victorian architecture you can find. Ottawa is filled with history, which you can see in its buildings and museums.
Even when this is one of Canada’s most populated cities, it also offers small towns if you like to be away from the hectic life. Ottawa has a series of festivals throughout the year, and with its pleasant weather, you can enjoy diverse outdoor activities.
Additionally, Ottawa offers affordable living expenses and a secure ambiance to keep safe all its residents.
- Guaranteed healthcare services
- Low crime rate
- Great job opportunities to advance your career
- Ideal place for families
- Not a great variety of nightlife possibilities
- Long winter, a con, if you prefer warm weather
- A city preferred by families rather than bachelors
Waterloo is an excellent option if you want to live near Toronto at a much more affordable price. Waterloo is one of the best places to live in southern Ontario because it is the house of many technological companies.
This city is also one of the best places to live in Ontario for families, thanks to its low unemployment rate and affordability. This means that compared to Toronto, you will be earning the same average salary but spending less, which will allow you to start saving for your retirement.
Another reason why Waterloo is one of the best places to live in southern Ontario is due to the options it provides for students. In this city, you will find two of the top universities in the country and many living options for students.
- Several job opportunities in the tech industry
- Top colleges and universities of the country
- More affordable living (compared to Toronto and Ottawa)
- One of the less crowded cities
- It doesn’t have the best public transportation
- Harsh winters limit your outdoor activities this season
- Higher crime rate compared to Ottawa
Oakville is one of the best places to live in southern Ontario if you are looking for a town that offers some peace. This town, which is part of the Greater Toronto Area, has a wide variety of green and recreational spaces for children. For its location near the Lake Ontario Waterfront, its landscape is breathtaking.
This town is also known for its major sporting population. Hockey, skating, lacrosse, canoeing, and soccer are just some of the sports that you can find in this town.
- Variety of restaurant choices
- Beautiful landscape near the lake
- Affordable living
- Low crime rate
- There are some overpriced restaurants
- Not the best place to start your career since it is an ideal town to settle down
- There is a lot of construction throughout the year
Burlington is located between Hamilton and Oakville, along the lake, which makes for unique scenery. This one is not only one of the best places to live in Ontario for families. It is also ideal for bachelors. Burlington offers several nightlife activities, shopping, cultural events, and entertainment for all ages.
Here you can find numerous businesses, which means there are a lot of employment options. Finally, with the help of a great realtor, you can find an affordable house in the best neighborhoods.
- Affordable housing even near the lake
- Small population compared to Ottawa and Toronto
- Several parks where children can enjoy outdoor activities
- Low unemployment rate
- Humid summer can become uncomfortable
- Small town, a con, if you are more a city person
- Dry and harsh winter season
In this article, you can find the best places to live in Ontario for families and bachelors. All these cities and towns offer various activities, affordable living, and diverse employment opportunities. Depending on the ambiance you desire, you can choose either a big city like Toronto or a town such as Oakville. Ontario is filled with unique places that are just waiting for you to explore them. What are you waiting for?